2) Find the intersection of the lines x + y = 5 and 2x - y = 1. Then graph the lines.
3) Find the slopes of the following:
a) (5, 3) and (2, -3)
b) 4x + 5y = 10
c) y = -5
4) Show that the line through (2, -3) and (7, 2) is perpendicular to the line through (-3, 7) and (2, 2).
5) Find the equation of the line and
a) y-intercept = -3 and x - intercept = 2
b) Through (1, 5) and (2, 6)
c) Line parallel to the line x + 3y = 6 through (0, 0)
6) Jim's new car cost $290 per month for
payments. He estimates it costs $.25 a mile for gas and
a) Express the monthly cost as a function of miles.
b) Find the slope of the function.
c) What does it cost if he drives 1200 miles this month?
7) Simplify each
8) Solve each by the indicated method.
a) (3x -2)(x +4) = 24 by factoring
b) 2x2 - 4x + 5 = 0 by completing the square.
c) 7x2 + x + 1 = 0 by the quadratic formula.
9) Find the vertex point, axis of symmetry, x and y intercepts and graph the function: y = x2 + 2x - 15
10) Rewrite the equation y = 4x2 + 8x + 2 in the alternate form and state the vertex point.
11) If you drive at x miles per hour and
your brakes, your stopping distance in feet is about f(x) = x + x2/25.
a) What is your stopping distance at 40 mph?
b) What is your stopping distance at 50 mph?
c) How much does it increase by from part b to part a?